This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Guide, Terms & Strategies

We have linked players to the rage evo page, but I figured it was about time to elaborate on current evolutions that are popular, along with some of the terminology that has been used here on the forums and in many of the chat rooms. I'm also proposing a few new ways of writing out abnormal evolutions in HonorBound as it doesn't mirror the rage evo math as closely as it did a year ago and having to write them out in words can get really awkward and long winded.

8-15 : First up is the perfect evolution for a 4* hero. When dealing with a 4* maximum evolution hero, there is only one kind of evolution that produces 100% of the maximum possible stats:

Click image for larger version

Name:	292px-8-15.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	106168

As you can see, this involves consuming (or manually levelling up) fifteen cards from 1-100. With players owning dozens of worthy heroes and a limited number of resources to get all the heroes into shape, making informed decisions about what you get for your investment of time/resources is important.

4-7 : This evolution is important because it is a popular number of heroes that players tend to aim for and produces some great stats. Sadly the cost of time and/or resources can be excessive to do for every single hero.

Name:	235px-4-7.png
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	106169

X-3 : This evolution is what I've began using to describe any number of cards from two to six. Here are a few variations of it:

Name:	273px-6-3.png
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	106170 Click image for larger version

Name:	276px-5-3.png
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	106171 Click image for larger version

Name:	235px-4-3.png
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	106172

I'm of the opinion that 6-3 is currently the best evolution in the game as far as stats gained for resources spent. Since obtaining 6 copies of the best cards is as close to impossible for many players as it gets, 5-3 and 4-3 are excellent alternatives. The differences between 6-3 vs 4-7 and 4-3 are less than a few hundred stats on the high end (per stat). See below for % estimates.

New Evolution Terms:

With the popularity of cloak squads (or very low level squads) and how the format of evolution (X-Y, X being number of heroes you start with, Y being times heroes are levelled to 100) works, the following can be used to describe cloak heroes:

4-2.1 this is effectively 4-3, but since the final evo is only level 10, it technically becomes +0.1

"Dirty evolve" is also another term that gets used occasionally. I feel there are two main ways this can be used to describe an evolution. Some players swear by always levelling to at least 50 so the stats are slightly better than all the evolutions described in this post. I would consider those a dirty+ evolution, since it's more involved (more steps and more resources involved) in an attempt to gain more stats:

4-3+ indicates that not the normal 4-3 route was used, but some of the non-max evos were levelled up partially
    2-1+ indicates that only the max evo was brought to 100, but some of the previous were levelled up as well; this is what traditionally would be called a dirty evolution
    4-1 indicates what tends to be that which many players use during events for the improved multiplier bonuses
    4-0 indicates max evo but zero evos have been levelled; many heroes in many libraries are in this situation

Evolution percentages:

This is to be continued and updated in the near future. I have some data regarding the 4-7 evolution and will work some players to determine which evolution produces what % of the maximum stats and update that info here.

Evo - % of maximum stats(% below are made up to show you roughly why some are better than others):
    8-15 = 100%
    6-3 = 98%
    4-7 = 97%
    5-3 = 96%
    4-3 = 95%
    4-1 = 91%

Disclaimer: All info in the screenshots above and at the link provided at the top are for another game and subject to change. It's a rough guide that HonorBound players can use to see which evolution might work best for them. The % listed at the linked page are not perfectly accurate, but are fairly close to the results we get for HB.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+

HonorBound
    - UnSel Guild - Retired - Wiki
    StormBorn - UnSel Alliance - StormBorn Blog

Thank you very much for posting this, Dalvian, hopefully it will help a lot of people new to the game. A couple of additions:
    • When you evolve 2 heroes, 5% of each hero's stats are carried over and retained by the new hero.
    • Evolution bonuses are capped at level 100. So there is no point in leveling a hero you plan to evolve beyond level 100, as the extra stats won't carry over.
    My summary is that a 4-3 evolution (starting with 4 base cards, and only leveling the final 3* and final 1* up to lvl 100 before creating the 4*) is good enough for the vast majority of heroes, for the vast majority of players. You will get approximately 95%+ of the benefit of a "perfect" evolution, while using a small fraction of the resources (essence and ember).

Of course, if you have 5-8 cards to begin with, you can use those for an "X-3" as you call it. Also, I normally level some of the earlier cards to level 20-50 for decent heroes, so my preferred method is X-3+, using the new nomenclature.

If you have that perfect perfect hero, it may be worth doing a 4-7 or 8-15 evolution. I could not imagine doing an 8-15, as even the best hero will soon be surpassed in power.

To see why only the final two cards are critical to the power of your final hero, recognize that an evolved hero retains 5% of the stats of each of the 2 heroes used to create it. That means for a 4* hero, you evolve 3 times, starting with two 1*, then a 2* plus a 1*, and finally a 3* plus a 1*. To understand why that final evolution is critical, remember that the last evolution grants 5% of their stats, but the previous one is only 5% of 5%, and the first evolution only nets your final hero 5% of 5% of 5%:
    • 1* + 1* = 0.000125 = 0.0125% of these stats are carried over to your final hero
    • 2* + 1* = 0.0025 = 0.25%
    • 3* + 1* = 0.05 = 5.0%
    So I don't waste time leveling up the first two heroes, as only a tiny fraction of their stats will carry over. So, if the 1* hero has an attack value of 20,000 at level 100, your final 4* hero will only gain an extra 2.5 attack power by leveling that hero all the way up to level 100! Hardly worth it to me for a rounding error. The second-level evolution will gain you an extra 50 attack power by leveling one of those heroes all the way to 100.
    Friend Code: U9A-526X • Guild: FYCapture
    Current Favorite Hero: The Kraken
    Least-Favorite Hero: Scarlet Grinner 4* (So I finally have this guy. Now what?)

Comment

Awesome posts. Just, simply, awesome.

Comment

I love this post!

Comment

I am working on an 8-15 Eskele. She wont be a game changer for me, but I love her skills and want to see her maxed out. I'm guessing a PERFECT 8-15 Eskele is in the 130's power level, no?
          Last edited by Dan.K; 08-08-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: EDIT: I will post her when she's finished but an 8-15 EVO without maxing out essence refills is very time consuming.

Comment

My 4-3 Eskele is Power Level 122. Let me know what your 8-15 turns out to be, but I don't think it will be in the 130s.

Comment

I will Atgard. I know she'll only be valuable in maps, not PvP, no matter what. But her skills are basically perfect for a cleric except for maybe resurrection instead of single healing?

Comment

Oh I agree, I'd asked for a legendary Eskele before. My only change to skills would be I prefer mana infusion to mana burst, but that is a minor nitpick. I think her skills are pretty much ideal. I actually used epic Eskele for a long time.

Comment

If you have a great hero and you think it is a good addition to your squad, it is worth every resources to go for perfect evolution.

Else, you'll end up with a lot of sleepless nights because you feel that you have shortchanged your hero.

So, make every single point of stat counts
                  Guild : The Dragonborn
                  Previous Guild : Unnatural Selection and Relentless

Friend Code : KWL-H596

Comment

I have a perfect Eskele (pwr 123) and perfect stone troll (power 169). Neither of them are arena quality but I love them both and use them for different things...

Comment

So my 4-3 Eskele (see my post a few posts up) was Power Level 122, while the perfect (8-15?) version is Power Level 123. Probably a difference of 100 stat points or something? Not worth it to me for 5x the resources for 1% more stats, especially at the rate JB is making heroes obsolete.

Of course, mine wasn't powerful enough to survive the great DATARESET crash of 2015...

Comment

Originally posted by Atgard View Post
                        So my 4-3 Eskele (see my post a few posts up) was Power Level 122, while the perfect (8-15?) version is Power Level 123. Probably a difference of 100 stat points or something? Not worth it to me for 5x the resources for 1% more stats, especially at the rate JB is making heroes obsolete.

Of course, mine wasn't powerful enough to survive the great DATARESET crash of 2015...
                        Agreed, I wouldn't have done it the way I did had I known the difference was so minimal. I normally see the biggest bump in power at the 1* and 2* evolve level. Once you get up to 3*, the evos have been very minimal from a power standpoint.

Comment

Working...
                        X